Tag: Windows

Windows 10 WiFi ignoring DHCP DNS settings

After a long period of home office it seemed that my computer did not want to work well in any other WiFi network any more. It showed “no internet connection” in every other network.

When looking into the connection settings, I saw that it was still showing my home DNS server in the settings. No matter what network I was connecting to, be it my phones hot spot, etc still the same.
Example output of the netsh command:

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show config name=”Wi-Fi”

Configuration for interface "Wi-Fi"
DHCP enabled: Yes
IP Address: 10.1.0.38
Subnet Prefix: 10.1.0.0/24 (mask 255.255.255.0)
Default Gateway: 10.1.0.1
Gateway Metric: 0
InterfaceMetric: 70
DNS servers configured through DHCP: 172.31.1.1
Register with which suffix: Primary only
WINS servers configured through DHCP: None

So I tried using the “netsh” command to reset it by entering a static DNS:
netsh interface ipv4 set dnsservers name="Wi-Fi" source=static address=8.8.8.8

Now I had working name resolution, but this is not a fix for me to have to set a correct DNS server for all the networks I go to, so I set it to DHCP settings again.
netsh interface ipv4 set dnsservers name="Wi-Fi" source=dhcp

Name resolution broke again, as the “show config” returned my home DNS again.. So I turned to the Windows registry to find where that IP address exists. Find yielded the following result. In Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces\{interface-uid} there was a registry key called ProfileNameServer. It had a value that matched my problematic DNS server entry. After deleting registry key and reconnecting to the WiFi I finally saw that the DHCP given DNS server list was being used and network connection was working normally again.

{ Add a Comment }

Windows Offline files not syncing in Windows 10

Usually I don’t have that many issues with Windows 10, but somehow after last Windows update I lost control over the contents of the “Documents” folder which was being synced with a file server. I was able to add files but never delete them getting the error “Permission Denied”. Talked to the domain admin, he looked over the permissions on the file server and all seemed fine there. Reset the offline file sync cache, etc (the usual hints you get while googling resetting offline files sync issues) got me back permissions on my files, or so I thought.. After leaving the office I noticed in the evening that I have no more Documents at all. It turned out that after the reset Offline files were not syncing at all and I was able to access them only when I had connectivity to the file server. The issue was that offline files were in “sync pending state” and it wouldn’t actually start the sync.

Try the classics “reboot” the computer, no the sync would not start again, try resetting the offline files cache again – no success.. What actually worked for me was running:

gpupdate /force

After re-installing the group policy clicked on the sync offline files button and voila it synced like a charm again.

{ Add a Comment }